Sunday, January 20, 2008

Carbon offsets

Running an international business is exciting and many of us love visiting different parts of the world as part of the work that we do. Over the past three years, I've averaged 63 flights and around 205,000km a year. Other colleagues are flying a fair bit, if not that far. I have been thinking for a while that this gives us big fat and not very green carbon footprint.

I was, therefore, pleased to see the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair flyGreener initiative. I am planning to use this service to pay an appropriate offset for all the travel that BSG staff and I do on business in 2008. I'm going to keep track of how much carbon we contribute and will post here on how we go about those offset.

Interesting to read the Economist's take on how poorly most companies are doing in this whole area of CSR, despite many good intentions.

No comments: